Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Lot Like Love (2005) - Movie Review

This movie is the one responsible for me to have decided to never name my child Gabe - the babe, or any of its variations; worse if it's a girl like Gabrielle because then she guys would try to pick her up with that line, and then she would resent me for it, and then the drugs and unwanted pregnancies. All because I named her Gabe. I am kidding. In truth, if I met a girl named Gabrielle or the like, then that would be my line "hey Gabe, you know, as in babe ha.ha.ha,"  and then I would get slapped - or what is more commonplace - just get ignored.

This is one of those pieces of film that show you why a family wagon is the perfect type of car, that should be flying off the dealerships. Not a freaking off-roader/SUV - or even a crossover. Unlike the compromise you get with those cars; a family wagon is low to the ground, meaning better control. And just like those tall cars, they are spacious, and they do one better, the boot/trunk generally lays flat, so you can use it as a bed if you like doing things like camping.

A Lot Like Love is one of my favorite romantic comedies. It has its cheese, but it is the kind that melts just right, and seeing Emily and Oliver interact is a joy. More so, Amanda Peet has some beautiful eyes that just stand out on camera. The only knock I would have against the film would be that the whole three-strike element at the very end where Emily makes up in her mind that Oliver actually made the first move because he took pictures of her before they interacted. Meh, that was not needed. Oh, and that "Don't, you'll ruin it line," why was that said at the very end...

The one character that I found quite hateful was Oliver's girlfriend in the middle of the movie. The guy is busting his ass trying to make a living for each other, but no, she can't see that. Just say that you're a miserable twat, that he is not it, and move on. Instead, once again, she has to go out by insulting the guy because it's all his fault.
Now, don't hold me for some sexist ass - I do have a little of that but still. We also have a douche in Emily's second boyfriend. He was there just to get him some, and once he was done, he was out. And that ain't right.

The thing I like the most about this movie is its message. Recently I learned that if you find the one for you, and you are hers, then just don't wait to marry your significant other - that it is the best decision that you could make in your life. Granted, that is quite the gamble, but the risk pales compared to the benefits - not that I know much about that. Since this is a romantic comedy, it had to have a happy ending - so no matter how many times these two ruined their chances over the course of years; they ended together. Outside of movies, well, we know that's usually not the case.

On their third meeting, Emily was clearly wanting her some Oliver, but this guy was completely at a loss. Why the hell does he have to be reading signs as if men are mind readers. Emily is a naturally a flirt, and a very good one, so as a guy, in order to avoid ruining shit, he has to tuck his dick in and play it cool, and then she gets confused, not knowing if he wants her or not. See, this is why I like this movie; it points out how good women are at mind fucking... so good they screw themselves in the process. I keed.

It is ok to go out there and make a fool of yourself for the one you love. It is normal to go out there and sit somewhere in hopes to see that person. But be careful in overdoing it or picking the wrong target because then you'll end up with a restraining order.

No comments:

Post a Comment