Go on the rest of the interwebs and you will probably find some gigantic reviews of this movie that dissect it scene by scene, and those writings will explain why Citizen Kane is one of the most important films in the history of cinema - I mean, it has a 100% score in Rotten Tomatoes. I am not going to do that - I am no film scholar.
I saw this movie yesterday at some theatre with my sister, for the first time ever. I had no idea what this movie is about; only that it is one of those movies that is placed on this very high pedestal. I could never build up the interest on watching it though. I saw it because I figured it would make for an interesting event, so there.
What I love about older movies like these is that they are time capsules of the culture from where it comes from. The humor, the clothing fashions, the way that cities looked like back then. But they are hard to watch, and sometimes to understand because people spoke differently in those days. I hear that back then this movie was revolutionary in its technique. I can see how, but since movies today already use all the techniques from that time, it is harder to appreciate. One thing that has not aged at all, and it is easy to appreciate though is the story. It is also because of this that I don't think I want to watch this movie again.
It got to me. I came out of the theatre with the decision that this movie was made the way it was to fuck with your head. Citizen Kane is about a man that at one point had everything, and in the end he loses it. It is about a man that all he wanted in life was to be loved, but on his own terms alone - that was brought out directly from the film. It is a story about growing older. Because I could relate to all these topics, it got to me.
Citizen Kane has great line throughout the movie. The performances of the actors - outside of slang and tone - feel quite modern. Some of the photographic shots are incredible given this was all edited on film and it was way back then. I just fail at understanding its status in the cinema world, but I recognize it as a great film; it had me talking and thinking about it right after the movie ended.
I never really understood why Kane went from a man of morals to this complete lunatic who lived inside this ridiculous castle he built. I recognize his fall really takes place the moment he realizes his second wife, Susan, was a failed project in the world of opera. But I never really understood what was his idea when he got up and clapped as hard as he did. I guess in a way this switch was a metaphor of sorts, that I don't think I will be able to understand just by watching the movie - a lot of it is just symbolic.
UPDATE:
Recently I ran into this video:
This video does a much better job than i ever could in explaining what makes this movie so important.
It is more about technique than the story - although the technique all about storytelling.
This movie would not make it into my top ten, but I respect it.
No comments:
Post a Comment