At the request of a friend, I decided to make a list of movies that I highly recommend you watching; mainly because I could never be able to write a review for every single one of them. Remember that this is all subjective, so your taste - and take on these movies - may be completely different from mine. With that said, this list doesn't have a particular order; I'll write them as they come up in my head. I will also be skipping some of the better known and classic movies such as 'Terminator 2 - Judgment Day' (1991) or 'Kindergarten Cop' (1990).
Dredd 3D (2012) - This is the movie that the new Robocop (2014) should have been. Funny, because the original Robocop came out from many rewrites for a movie based on the Dredd series.
Ruby Sparks (2012) - The genius will blow your mind!!!
My Sassy Girl (2001) - Korean. This movie was so popular, and such an instant classic that it was remade in the United States. But its predecessor just doesn't work; even though I am a fan of Elisha Cuthbert. That the remake lacked from the story only works within the Korean culture - with all of its Korean cheesy glory.
A.C.O.D (2013) - Which stands for adult children of divorce. I find it to be a very fun take on a subject that I can relate to quite well.
Punch Drunk Love (2002) - Some famous movie directors and producers put this movie on their top list of movies to watch.
Rocket Science (2007) - I am not sure what the message of the story really is, but damn this movie has heart and charisma. You see Anna Kendrick shine on this one.
Sunny (2011) - Korean. A very heartfelt story with great humor mixed with it - at some point I almost cried.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) - Speaking of crying; I first saw this movie in a weird mood - which combined with this movie; on this one scene I was crying like a little bitch.
Reign Over Me (2007) - One of the subjects that this movie touches upon is incredibly delicate; and this movie takes that subject and turned it into something beautiful. This is one of those movies I can watch many times over.
As Good as It Gets (1997) - If anybody asks me; this is my most favorite movie of all time.
Super (2010) - A very quirky, twisted movie with incredibly violent scenes, but it just works.
I Saw The Devil (2010) - Korean. This movie will make you feel in many ways. But none of them is related to happy.
Revolutionary Road (2008) - Actually, I don't recommend this movie. But I place it on the list because it is about the darkest, most depressing American movie that I have ever seen. And because it makes you go really dark, I can't help but recommend.
Drive (2011) - Anyone who is a fan of 'Daddy Goss' knows this movie.
Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011) - A very long romantic comedy. I do have a problem with the scene where all the storylines merge near the end, but even then this is one entertaining movie.
Lovelace (2013) - Based on the story of the star actress in the most sold adult movie Deepthroat, Linda Lovelace. I do not know what liberties the filmmakers took from the actual events because it is that sick, but truthfully, I would not be surprised if it was accurate because reality is just that cruel.
My Week With Marilyn (2011) - I've always dreamed of spending time with a big starlett, and fall in love with her, even if for just a week.
The Sessions (2012) - Louis C.K. has a comedy bit where he deconstructs that line "there is someone for everyone". As much as I agree with him this movie shows a more optimistic point of view.
Drinking Buddies (2013) - You'd think this movie is about alcoholism - and it makes me think the main characters are, but this movie is about something else... huh.
Rudo y Cursi (2008) - Mexican. A movie about soccer, but not a sports movie. Incredibly well written, the way I wish I could write in spanish, but the level of genius is: "Over 9000!!!"
The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) - I don't like watching trailers or reading sypnosis before I watch a movie. This one took me by surprise.
Adventureland (2009) - When I first went to watch this movie with a friend, he got bored and we stepped away and went to another movie. However, I did watch it again, it was hilarious.
Blue Valentine (2010) - It is supposed to be one of those romantically depressing movies, but looking past the emotional effect; this movie gets you thinking about the characters and the 'whys'.
Butter (2012) - A movie about butter sculpting as a central theme. So clever.
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012) - The movie takes a heavy topic, and keeps it human. Beware though, if you're feeling lonely, this movie won't help.
Young Adult (2011) - I bought the DVD for this movie because it had Charlize Theron in it - you don't need another reason, really, you don't.
Midnight in Paris (2011) - You see historical figures of the arts interact together from the eyes of Woody Allen.
Rango (2011) - An animated western movie about a chameleon that is also a sherif.
Big Fan (2009) - There are people to whom being a fan of their sports team is all they have. It is quite sick, but there is a fascinating aspect about that.
Soul Men (2008) - This was Bernie Mac's final movie. But that is not the only reason why you should watch this movie.
Tropic Thunder (2008) - Big dick baby, big dick.
What Happens in Vegas (2008) - A chick flick. It has all the formulaic elements, and it goes well with pop corn and a joint.
3:10 to Yuma (2007) - Never been a fan of westerns, but this remake on a classic is fucking awesome. I saw it because this Russian cobbler in NYC mentioned a pair of legendary boots featured in this movie.
True Grit (2010) - Another western. Another remake on a classic. You watch movies like these, and you realize how badass this genre of movies can be.
Rocky Balboa (2006) - You reading right, the last Rocky movie. It is not superior than the first Rocky (1976); but this movie comes from the heart. Just like the original, it leaves you pumped... but not wanting to beat up the guy next to you.
School of Rock (2003) - A loser rockstar wannabe takes over a class in a private school, and creates his own rock band. It's a fun watch.
The Ramen Girl (2008) - This was Brittany Murphy's final movie - that final scene... fuck
The New Guy (2002) - "Who's the bitch now?"
The Big Year (2011) - Aren't movies about taking you places you have never been? This one is about bird watching.
Summer Wars (Sama Wozou) (2010) - Japanese. A really fun anime. It dials shit up to 11 in terms of out of the box - I believe this was the movie the creator of the Digimon Movie wanted it to be.
The Quiet (2006) - I liked it enough to watch it again with commentaries.
The Holiday (2006) - I remember watching this movie alone during the Christmas holiday season. Not a good idea for a romantic comedy.
Fat Kid Rules the World (2012) - A movie about what someone does for a friend, and what being a friend means - very innocent take on it.
Safe House (2012) - 'Zel is the man!
We Bought a Zoo (2011) - People make fun of Matt Damon for this movie, but it's actually a good watch. I did not like the little shits, but it grows on you.
50/50 (2011) - It's about someone who is dying - but it's not as heavy as the topic.
Up in the Air (2009) - Ever wondered how it would be like to live working for a company that is hired by other companies to fire their employees? Quite bizarre, huh.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) - When I saw this movie I was going through the same thing that the main character was going through; which made me not enjoy the movie. But watching it again - it has some hilarious parts. Funny enough to span a pseudo sequel in 'Get Him to the Greek' (2010).
Let the Right One In (2008) - Swedish. It's a movie about a kid vampire. Good enough to spawn a remake in America, 'Let Me In' (2010). The original one is superior.
The Ringer (2005) - The movie features real mentally handicapped actors - but that's the least, their charm comes explodes through the camera.
Cinderella Man (2005) - Based on the real life story of someone whose story resembles Rocky.
Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol (2011) - My favorite movie in this series, to date.
Almost Famous (2000) - I'm two thirds into the movie, and I already recommend it. The amount of faces you'll recognize is hysterical
Birthday Girl (2001) - Nicole Kidman as a Russian woman. Seen it multiple times despite it being a bit slow
need to add Dune to the list
ReplyDeleteWhat? hell no
ReplyDelete