Sunday, December 18, 2016

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - Movie Review

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan. I do enjoy that realm of fiction quite a lot - I've fantasized about lightsabers, about flying one of those space ships, riding the sand speeder. Super Star Wars (SNES) is one of my favorite games of all time - could only beat it with Chewie tho. Yet, I don't care for it as much as other people - at least that is the impression I get when they talk about it. Also, I like the fucking Ewoks; I still find nothing wrong with them. Return of the Jedi is my favorite.

No, not the biggest fan; yet somehow I've seen all the theatrical releases since Phantom Menace. I saw Rogue One in 2D format in the theatre with friends. We were all blown away. Especially the scene where the rebel space ships attempt to escape only to get denied by Darth Vader's Imperial Star Destroyer. I saw it early enough to be able to watch the internet reviews without getting the story spoiled. I thought the movie did a good enough job making the audience care about a Star Wars story despite it not being a story about a Skywalker - about a character whom we don't know anything about, except that she is going to die; daddy and all. Yet somehow the internets is not entirely happy with the product.

It's not enough to see the effects of a Death Star [single] blast. It's not enough seeing Darth Vader molesting some rebel grunts. How about all the dogfights, K-2SO? All of a sudden the movie needs a purpose to exist in its universe. Sure it has its problems: the death scenes of Chirrut and Baze [machinegun backpack guy]... they are disorienting - the angles, the editing; I could not buy into it. Come to think of it, outside the deaths of the imperial droid and secondary characters - all the deaths are rather sloppy. Despite that, here is why Rogue One is welcome, in my books:

Rogue One made me like Darth Vader for once. He never looked strong in the other movies, and I couldn't understand why the big deal before. The movie shows how hard it is to move around or to do  much when you aren't a Force user. Having said that, Rogue One helps add perspective on the prequels. What it's like to see a movie full of lightsabers compared to a movie with just one lightsaber scene. And most importantly: the events of A New Hope have become that much more epic - might help watching these two together.


No comments:

Post a Comment