Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Movie Foods - Hot Cocoa - Chocolat (2000)



This week's movie foods is hot cocoa; as it was Roux's (Johnny Depp) favorite incarnation of chocolate.

Recipe is as follows:

1oz cocoa nibs
8oz heavy cream
8oz milk
2 dried chilies
-- on microwave for 3 minutes, steep for 20 minutes

6oz 70% + chocolate
2 oz macadamia nuts
1 tbsp drinking chocolate
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp cayenne
-- whisk while heating to help the chocolate emulsion

CHANGE ON RECIPE: 
Add the macadamia nuts before - let it steep with the cocoa nibs and strain them. I didn't like their texture.
Even better, use essential oils instead of actual nuts - this way you don't deal with solids.

The only important warning I could give here is, be careful with temperatures when handling chocolate. It can split and burn.
You can vary many things from this recipe; but never deviate from how I melt the chocolate -- and please, do whisk.

No comments:

Post a Comment