After three endless nights of heavy brain use: i have completed the outline for the second draft on my script - people, this is the first time i have managed to write a good ending for a story. I say that with confidence. See, even when I wrote the book - which I decided I should go back and revise it someday... in a relatively distant future... it had some concepts that i liked - during the writing process I couldn't come up with a decent ending. Oh, and the first draft's ending was just rushed.
I wasn't planning on writing a post for just finishing writing an outline. But this, to me is an incredible landmark. I literally felt like a different person the moment I figured out how to end this story that I so crave to show to the world - like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Also, to let you know that I didn't quit on my dream; its just that it's taking a lot, and I mean, a lot longer that I wanted it to. Hey, at least I kept to my word, posted that nightmare of a recipe that was my banana custard pie, and I've kept practicing video making through my videos.
So, about the script and the story that I know that you are so dying to get a hold of. A lot has changed since draft one. What happened was that I did receive feedback from one of my friend whom I sent the script. He admitted he wasn't able to read the script in its entirety becayse he just couldn't get into it - he found the script to be boring. And when someone says your work that is meant for entertainment purposes is boring then it means it's utter shit - and I have to admit it was.
He also mentioned that Bernardo, the main character, was too similar to Jackie, the hero of the book; actually, he found Bernardo to be nowhere near as interesting the one in the book.
There were elements and scenes on the original draft that I find even all this time that I find them to be quite good - so I have kept some of those parts. But the rest had to be rewritten. Now, not only the ending, but the entire structure, tone, and pace make a whole lot more sense, at least in my head. As I am writing this - the story as it is, stays.
The reason why it has taken me this long to come up with at least an outline is because I really had to get out of my head with the first plot structure - I just kept going back at it. I can actually feel on this new outline that even some of the elements that I wanted to get rid of fromt he first draft have managed to crawl back into the script - this time though, I think it works.
The other reason why I've been having all these delays is due to the fact that the original script was boring. It did hit my confidence a little. But more importantly it meant that I had to take what I considered my own limits and go above and beyond them if I wanted to produce the kind of work that I can be wholeheartedly proud of - yes, fuck me and my pretentiousness.
I will admit in advance that with this new script; the movie would place Bernardo in some sort of a pedestal above others. I know this is a bit of a problem because Bernardo is based on me, and because he is based on me, this script pretty much states how much of an opionionated, self-centered, conceited asshole I really am. Oh, and Olivia is quite different from her original version; with the other characters, outside of one, everyone's roles have changed.
after three endless nights of heavy brain use: i have completed the outline for the second draft on my script - people, this is the first time i have managed to write a good ending for a story
A tip for writers: (yes, because I never went to writing school, and I got a C in English 101 in college, I still feel entitled to give you my tips)
If you're writing a long story - say above font 12, spacing 1.5, and ten pages - especially if it's fiction; write an outline; even if it's not your style to write in structure. You don't have to write an outline first, you can do it at any point in time. It will help you see the big picture of your story. It will help you see the pacing of the story; where the story slows down too much, or important things you are skipping. You can see where a character is introduced, when his character comes to an end. More importantly, it will help you see if your story makes any sense at all.
The next step now involves writing - the pain. But I'm not too far away. I have notes and scenes written already, it's just that I had a hard time figuring out what to write because I didn't know what is supposed to happen at the end - it's my own process of writing.
Before I close this post: I know these posts are quite obscure because you have no idea what the story is about - it could be the worst piece of shit you have ever had the displeasure of experiencing for all you care. But I promise you that if this story ever gets made into a movie - I will share every piece of detail that I have saved with you all. But until then, off to the torture chamber...
No comments:
Post a Comment