First, let me get this out of the way: Julie, the mother of the child is a cunt. Sure she comes around at the end, but only after repeated attempts to get her to change; and more than change it was like her giving up -- enough of that, I think I've done enough woman bashing in my reviews. Besides, she is only around to get the plot moving.
This movie I loved. As with most movies, this one is a product of the culture from where it comes from. With the better international movies; you aren't just seeing the different clothing style; the different landscapes; the language - with their accents and their mannerisms; seeing different races. You see a different school of filmmaking through the shot selections as well as in the editing. There is a different type of a story even - and that's what I loved about this movie. Sure, it was made in Mexico, and you know its a Mexican movie, but the movie itself is about the story of a father and his little girl.
What this movie does excellent is its take on its theme: life and death. In fact, my favorite scenes are, near the end, when Valentin goes back to his home, to the restaurant by the beach. After he finds out his father had died, his friend talks to him; not sure about its effectiveness as consolation, but I couldn't help but laugh - reminiscent of Cantinflas. There is also one more monologue while the credits are playing, after the first song.
I really enjoyed the way this movie takes its time in introducing the story and our main character. I first thought this was going to be a slap-stick movie about a womanizing guy and his funny gags with a baby. But then it turns out to be something much more likable, and much more sweet. It felt as though was watching two different movies - in a very good way, what delivery.
One of the things that stood out to me was that. Yes, we see this progress of him being a party boy to being a dad, but people still think of him being this irresponsible, overly-spoiling parent - only to show the kind of heart that this man really has
No comments:
Post a Comment